(Herstal, Belgium) – July 6, 2018. Belgium-based FN Herstal, one of the world’s leading firearms manufacturers, has developed a new comprehensive FN® Airborne Digital Suite to meet challenging market demands and expectations on integrating machine guns into modern platforms.
The FN® Airborne Digital Suite provides military forces with the highest level of operational capability.
This new fully digital ITAR-free suite is fully in line with FN Herstal’s strategy to further develop its customizable Integrated Weapon Systems for Airborne applications.
It comprises of 3 complementary and interconnected components:
1. FN® D-HUD (Digital Head-Up Display): a modern and cost-effective targeting solution to improve precision in firing. It enhances accuracy and situational awareness and reduces the pilot workload. This Digital Head-Up Display is easy to integrate, ergonomic and equipped with high-end optics technology and ballistic computation solution. The FN® D-HUD offers capability to retrofit in-service helicopters to the latest advances in targeting technologies.
2. The brand new FN® D-PC (Digital Pod Controller): this new FN Herstal Armament Management System (AMS) is designed to control digital pods and rocket launchers. The FN® D-PC is installed on the platform and is connected to the pods via MIL-STD-1760 compliant protocol.
3. The FN® D-Pod : a self-contained fixed-forward pod system, featuring the well-known .50 cal FN® M3P machine gun, now with digital communication. Variants are:
- Q .50 cal FN® D-HMP250 Pod (ammo capacity: 250 rounds)
- Q .50 cal FN® D-HMP400 Pod (ammo capacity: 400 rounds)
- Q .50 cal FN® D-RMP Pod (ammo capacity: 250 rounds and 3 x 2.75" rocket launcher tubes)
The FN® D-Pod can be operated by either FN® D-PC or on-board non-FN Armament Management System. It allows rapid reconfiguration of helicopters or subsonic aircraft between missions.
The FN® Airborne Digital Suite belongs to and takes benefit of the comprehensive range of FN Herstal’s integrated weapon systems based on 4 pillars: Airborne Fixed-Forward Firing Solutions, Airborne Crew Served Weapon Solutions, Land and Sea Mounted Weapon Solutions and Remote Weapon Stations.
The FN® Airborne Digital Suite is showcased at Farnborough International Airshow , Hall 1, Belgian Pavilion, FN Herstal’s booth 1395, July 16-21.
FN HERSTAL: 130 Years of Technological Innovation, Unique Know-How, and Talented People
FN HERSTAL, S.A., a subsidiary of the Herstal Group that also includes Browning (Hunting and Shooting), is based in Belgium and provides military, security, law enforcement and special forces customers over the globe with a complete range of state-ofthe-art, groundbreaking solutions developed around small caliber firearms and associated ammunition.
FN HERSTAL product lines include portable firearms, less lethal systems, integrated weapon systems for air, land and sea applications, remote weapon stations, small caliber ammunition, as well as modern and cutting-edge solutions to provide enhanced combat, logistics, maintenance and communication capabilities.
FN HERSTAL is the parent company of three fully owned entities: FN America in the USA, FNH UK in the UK and Noptel in Finland.
For more information on FN HERSTAL, visit www.fnherstal.com.
FN Herstal, S.A. Voie de Liège 33 | B-4040 Herstal | Belgium Tel. : +32 4 240 81 11 | firstname.lastname@example.org www.fnherstal.com
This Press Release originates from a third party not associated with IHS Janes. Any comments, opinions and discussions by any third parties are not the views of IHS Janes and as such IHS Janes cannot accept responsibility or liability for the content of this Press Release. IHS Janes grants no rights to reproduce or use this content in any manner whatsoever. For more information on how your company can become part of this service please e-mail PressReleasesServices@ihsmarkit.com.