Indian MoD approves procurements worth USD1.44 billion

01 March 2018

India’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) has approved procurements worth INR94.25 billion (USD1.44 billion) that include 350,000 of 5.56 mm close quarter battle (CQB) carbines and 41,000 of 7.62 mm light machine guns (LMGs) for all three military services.

The MoD’s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), which is headed by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, said on 28 February that these acquisitions will be processed under the ‘Buy and Make (Indian)’ category of the MoD’s Defence Procurement Procedure-2016 (DPP-2016).

Under this classification 75 % of the entire carbine and LMG requirement worth INR46.07 billion and INR30 billion, respectively, is to be procured indigenously from private companies, with the remaining 25% set to be sourced from the state-run Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options at

(142 of 595 words)