UAE shows world's largest multiple rocket launcher
By Miroslav Gyürösi
The Jobaria Defense Systems (JDS) Multiple Cradle Launcher System (MCLS) shown for the first time at the IDEX 2013 exhibition held in Abu Dhabi was the most visually impressive product at the show. Its ability to fire a total of 240 rockets into a target area and all-up weight of 105 tons are unmatched by any other multiple rocket launcher.
Development and initial production were conducted by Al Jaber Land Systems, working in close co-operation with the Turkish company Roketsan. Development started in 2008, and production deliveries to the Armed Forces of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) started in October 2011, but were not announced at the time.
The recently launched Jobaria Defense Systems company, a member of the Tawazun Group, is now fully responsible for MCLS design, production, and deliveries. During the exhibition, it displayed one MCLS vehicle on the Tawazun Group's open-area stand, while another took part in the mobility display.
The system was created by installing four Aselsan rocket launchers aboard a specially adapted five-axle semi-trailer.175 of 701 words
- Philippine air chief says Italy will provide attack helicopters
- Germany axes Euro Hawk
- Boeing poised to begin flight-testing Advanced Super Hornet features
- The Ford-class aircraft carrier, the future US Navy: Enabling the distributed force
- Boeing unveils Phantom Badger
- Rheinmetall debuts Oerlikon Revolver Gun Mk 2
- US Army trains with SpotterRF's man-portable radar
- Al-Qusayr battle is critical for Syrian government
- Northrop Grumman tests B-2 anti-jamming satcomms system without USAF's preferred radio
- India fails to make progress with AW101 inquiry