Nimr family enters production in UAE
By Christopher F Foss
The first new production-standard Nimr vehicles are expected to roll off Nimr Automotive's United Arab Emirates (UAE) production line before the end of April.
The company a subsidiary of Tawazun Holding has orders for a total of 1,800 Nimr vehicles across all of its current configurations and is now growing the scope of the 4x4 and 6x6 vehicle family.
Two Nimr vehicles were built and shown for the first time at the IDEX defence exhibition in Abu Dhabi in early 2011. All 1,800 vehicles are on order for the UAE Armed Forces and the vehicle has also been evaluated by a number of export customers.
The Nimr family was initially manufactured in Jordan but now all research and development, engineering, quality assurance, production and marketing are undertaken in the UAE. The current production contracts are set to continue for at least three years, assuming no additional orders are received.
Nimr is being marketed in unarmoured and fully protected versions, with the former typically being in a four-door, four-seat configuration with a cargo area at the rear. This has a typical gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 9 tonnes, of which up to 3 tonnes is cargo. This is also available in a fully enclosed station-wagon version with the crew compartment extending to the rear. A typical payload is up to two tonnes.225 of 649 words
- Philippine air chief says Italy will provide attack helicopters
- Germany axes Euro Hawk
- The Ford-class aircraft carrier, the future US Navy: Enabling the distributed force
- USN's X-47B headed for first trap landing on board carrier at sea
- Rheinmetall debuts Oerlikon Revolver Gun Mk 2
- US Army trains with SpotterRF's man-portable radar
- Boeing poised to begin flight-testing Advanced Super Hornet features
- Northrop Grumman tests B-2 anti-jamming satcomms system without USAF's preferred radio
- India fails to make progress with AW101 inquiry
- Russia, US SSBN patrol figures revealed