HEADLINES ARCHIVE

  • Airbus warns of consequences in investigations

    Amid media speculation regarding ongoing legal action against Airbus for bribery allegations relating to a number of activities – including the sale of the Eurofighter Typhoon to Austria in 2003 – the company has reaffirmed its stance that the sale was legal, and stated that the

  • Russia expands Myanmar Mi-24P repair programme

    Russian Helicopters is to repair a small number of Mil Mi-24P/35P (‘Hind’) combat helicopters in Myanmar, as part of an initiative to support platforms in the country of operation instead of transporting the aircraft to Russia. The group said that it would send a team of technicians to

  • ADEX 2017: IAI forms JV with Hankuk Carbon

    Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Hankuk Carbon have established a joint venture (JV to develop unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in South Korea. The JV has been named Korea Aviation Technologies (KAT), and will focus on the development of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) UAVs for the

  • ADEX 2017: Leonardo, Hanwha Systems to work on avionics and mission systems

    Leonardo signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with South Korean firm Hanwha Systems at the ADEX exhibition on 17 October. Under the MOU, the two companies will work to develop avionics and mission systems for the Korean market, as well as export customers. The companies will initially focus

  • KBR to acquire Australian firm Sigma Bravo

    US engineering services group KBR has entered an agreement to acquire Australian company Sigma Bravo Pty Ltd, a specialist in defence-related information and communications technologies (ICT), it was announced on 16 October. Details of the transaction were not revealed. Following the acquisition,

  • Philippines moves forward with Super Tucano procurement

    The Philippines Department of National Defense (DND) has confirmed to Jane ’ s that it is close to signing a contract with Brazilian manufacturer Embraer to procure the EMB 314 Super Tucano trainer/light attack platform to meet a Philippine Air Force (PAF) requirement for close-air support

  • CeramTec sold to BC Holdings

    CeramTec has announced that it has been acquired by a BC Partners-led consortium, transferring ownership of the ceramics manufacturer from private equity firm Cinven. Details of the deal were not disclosed. Manufactured by the US-based division of the German company, the defence portfolio includes

  • Japan introduces cluster plan to spur aerospace competitiveness

    Key Points Japan is set to launch an aerospace cluster programme by the end of 2017 The initiative is intended to improve efficiencies in downstream manufacturing The Japanese government has outlined plans to launch an “integrated production system” later this year to strengthen the

  • UK MoD makes SME awards for CBRN UAVs

    The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has awarded a number of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) funding to develop autonomous technology required to investigate chemical and biological hazards. Announced by defence secretary Michael Fallon on 14 October, the contracts are the result of an innovation

  • DAPA announces delay in K2 MBT production

    South Korea’s plans to produce additional Hyundai Rotem K2 (Black Panther) main battle tanks (MBTs) have been delayed three years due to technical issues with the platform’s indigenously developed transmission system, the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) has said. In an

  • India to sell off stake in helicopter services company

    The Indian government has announced the sale of its controlling stake in state-owned helicopter service company Pawan Hans. The invitation for expressions of interest (EIO), published on 13 October, outlines the sale of the government’s entire 51% stake. The remaining 49% is held by the Oil

  • Aselsan sells tank radios to Ukraine

    Turkey’s military electronics company Aselsan has signed an agreement with an unidentified customer based in Ukraine to supply communication systems worth USD43.6 million, according to a company statement sent to the Public Disclosure Platform (KAP) on 10 October. Deliveries will be made in

  • Pakistan, Ukraine seek to deepen collaboration

    Pakistan and Ukraine have agreed to identify new areas of defence industrial collaboration, state-run news in Islamabad reported on 12 October. The agreement was reached during meetings at the Arms and Security defence exhibition in Kiev between Ukraine’s defence minister Stepan Poltorak and

  • Patria buys stake in Estonia's Milrem

    Finnish aerospace and defence group Patria announced on 13 October that it is to acquire a 60% stake in Estonian military maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) venture Milrem. The remaining 40% stake will be retained by Milrem’s current owner Sinrob OU which is owned by Milrem CEO Kuldar

  • PT Pindad to expand munitions capability

    Indonesian land systems specialist PT Pindad has announced new investment to construct a small-calibre munitions factory at its ammunitions production site in Malang, West Java. The company said on 11 October that it has already commenced construction of the factory, which will expand its

  • General Motors to form new defence business

    US car manufacturer General Motors is planning to form a new defence-focused business called GM Defense LLC, according to reports in trade publication Automotive News . News of the company’s return to the defence market came as the company displayed its Silent Utility Rover Universal

  • Danish government proposes 20% increase to defence budget by 2023

    The Danish government announced a significant rise in planned defence expenditure on 11 October, with an extra DKK4.8 billion (USD763 million) to be added to the annual defence budget by 2023. The extra funding, which equates to a rise in annual spending of 20% from current levels, has been

  • Ukroboronprom pursues cooperation with Lithuanian defence industry

    State-owned Ukrainian defence manufacturer Ukroboronprom announced on 11 October that it had signed a memorandum of understanding with the Lithuanian Defence and Security Industry Association (LDSIA) aimed at fostering co-operation between defence companies from the two countries. The move is part

  • Lockheed Senior Vice President selected for Pentagon policy role

    Senior Vice President of Lockheed Martin International John Rood has been selected by US President Donald Trump to fill the role of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy at the Department of Defense, it was announced on 12 October. Previously Raytheon’s vice president of US business

  • Airbus boosts ownership of Malaysian MRO firm

    Airbus has increased its ownership in the Malaysian maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) specialist Sepang Aircraft Engineering (SAE), the European group announced on 12 October. Airbus has owned a 40% stake in SAE since 2011 but the Kuala Lumpur-based firm now becomes a wholly-owned Airbus

Subscribe to Industry for access to more latest Industry news, analysis and data
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT