CONTENT PREVIEW
Industry

Russia to start delivering Kamov Ka-226T helos to India in 2019, says report

22 February 2017

Russia will start delivering Kamov Ka-226T 'Hoodlum' light multirole helicopters to the Indian military in 2019, said the CEO of state-owned manufacturer Russian Helicopters, Andrey Boginsky, according to Reuters on 20 February.

Russia will start delivering Kamov Ka-226T helicopters (similar to this one) to the Indian military in 2019, according to a media report. (Russian Helicopters)Russia will start delivering Kamov Ka-226T helicopters (similar to this one) to the Indian military in 2019, according to a media report. (Russian Helicopters)

Speaking at the IDEX show held in Abu Dhabi, Boginsky who took over as the company's CEO in January 2017 said, "The joint venture [JV] is in process and the first delivery will start in 2019. After-sales service will also be provided in India."

Some 60 helicopters will be delivered to India and the remaining 140 will be assembled or manufactured in the south Asian country, Boginsky added.

The governments of India and Russia announced in December 2015 their intention to establish a JV between Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Russian state-owned technology conglomerate Rostec - the parent company of Russian Helicopters and Rosoboronexport - to support production of the twin-engined Ka-226T.

Rostec announced the move shortly after New Delhi agreed to procure at least 200 of the platforms for the Indian military.

The JV for the Ka-226Ts gives HAL a 50.5% majority stake in the programme - with the Russian side holding the remaining 49.5% - and envisages the import of 60 helicopters and the licensed production of another 140 at a HAL facility that is under construction at Tumakuru, 74 km north of the Indian city of Bangalore.

The helicopters will be operated by the Indian Air Force and the Indian Army Aviation Corps.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options: ihs.com/contact



(261 of 328 words)
ADVERTISEMENT

Industry Links

IHS Jane's is not responsible for the content within or linking from Industry Links pages.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT